We live in an age wherein we can’t almost survive without the internet. With the advancements f technology, from 5G data networks to AI-as-a-service, we can’t deny the truth that we depend too much on the internet when it comes to performing daily tasks. We schedule our meetings with Siri, browse articles on the web, read electronic books, and send emails. Research about exciting things and many more; it is evident that our lives revolve now to technology. It is a convenient tool to use; however, there are a few dangers of using the internet. One of the most alarming issues in the cyber industry is how hackers breach the internet to get relevant data to use the way they want it.
2019 has been the worst year on the list for data breaches. Riskbased security stated on their Data Breach Quickview Report 2019 Q3 trends that there was 33% increase in the number of violations discussed compared to the same time in 2018. There have been 8.5 billion records exposed during the first months of 2019, surpassing the year 2017.
Many data breaches controversies happened during 2019, which means that your personal information is unsafe online. An example of this is Diachenko’s and Troia’s discovery of an unsecured server that consists of 4 billion users’ information enclosing over 244 terabytes of data. The data mostly include names. Email addresses, phone numbers, LinkedIn and Facebook profile information.
With the things stated above, anyone can get your personal information with just one click. This is alarming since internet is supposed to be a safe place for us.
Regardless of the experts’ efforts to make the internet more secure, you must not be confident that no one will steal your confidential data. To protect yourself from these attacks, you must do something to change your habits regarding internet safety. To answer the question on how to secure your data in 2019, here are a few tips you may want to consider:
- Use a strong password and password manager
– Owning many social media accounts requires you to memorize the passwords you use on a specific site. However, if you have many accounts on social media platforms, remembering different passwords can be a challenge. A lot of internet users are using the same passwords in their various social media accounts. In addition to this, recycled and weak passwords can compromise your security. As passwords serve as a protective barrier between your account and the hackers, using a unique and robust password will save you from malicious attacks. Your password must have the following characteristics:
* includes numbers, words, upper and lowercase letters and special characters
* must be long and complex
* contains at least ten characters
* is not used to two or more devices; two or more accounts.
– Imagine if the hacker breaks into your account and all four passwords are the same, it is undoubtedly the end for you. If you have trouble remembering complicated passwords, you can use a password manager.
- Use two-factor authentication
– Two-factor authentication is a security procedure that enables you to provide two authentication factors for verification procedures. This process allows you to add more security features to every site you use. There are different types of two-factor authentication that you could choose form. These are:
*App generated codes
*Physical authentication keys
With this method, it will be hard for the hackers to access your account even though they know your password
- Keep your software up-to-date
– Software updates are crucial to your digital safety and cyber security. Newer technology offers better security measures. When you are installing new updates, the damages are being fixed and the bugs are removed. Overall, software updates keep the cyber-attackers out of the frame.
- Use VPN
– Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology service that encrypts your data so that hackers can’t decipher it. VPN keeps your activity on the internet, conversations and messages protected. With VPN tunneling, your IP address is masked and all the data you entered is encrypted. VPN has been proven by many that it is an ineffective tool for online security.
Aside from the things mentioned above, it is essential not to share everything on the internet. Avoid sharing personal details such as email address, phone number, bank details and other things if it is not necessary. It is vital to limit your information that is shared on the internet. There are a lot of hackers waiting for a time to attack you. If it can’t be avoided, be sure to review the tips stated above. Remember, your safety lies in your hands.
- 5 Safety Tips in Mobile Banking
- 10 VPN Facts You Should Know
- 10 Things to Know Before Buying VPN
- BEST MAC VPN OF 2020
- VPN IS APPLICABLE FOR BANKING
- UTILIZE A VPN AT HOME
- VPN INFLUENCE WIRELESS
- DEFINE FAKE VPN
- UTILIZE A VPN
- Keep Your Data Secure in 2020
- Which VPN Is Right for You?
- What Is a VPN and Why do you need it
- What is VPN
Share Us On: